[Rocks-Discuss]Dual Itanium2 performance

Maurice Hilarius maurice at harddata.com
Fri Jul 4 02:37:00 EDT 2003

With regards to your message at 01:08 PM 7/2/03, beowulf-request at scyld.com.
Where you stated:
>On Wed, 2 Jul 2003, Leonard Chvilicek wrote:
>
> > I was reading in some of the mailing lists that the AMD Opteron dual
> > processor system was getting around 80-90% efficiency on the second
> > processor.  I was wondering if that holds true to the Itanium2 platform?
> > I looked through some of the archives and did not find any benchmarks or
> > statistics on this.  I found lots of dual Xeons but no dual Itaniums.
>
>You are not going to be able to beat a dual Itanium in terms of efficiency
>if you are talking about a linpack benchmark. Close to 98% efficient.
>
>Tim

Perhaps, but as linpack is not what most people actually run on their
machines for production, I think it is more useful to consider what
efficiency on SMP you get on real production code.

With our best regards,

Maurice W. Hilarius       Telephone: 01-780-456-9771
Hard Data Ltd.               FAX:       01-780-456-9772
11060 - 166 Avenue        mailto:maurice at harddata.com
Edmonton, AB, Canada      http://www.harddata.com/
    T5X 1Y3