sharing a power supply

Andrew Piskorski atp at piskorski.com
Thu Jul 3 14:00:22 EDT 2003

On Thu, Jul 03, 2003 at 03:21:35PM +0200, Alan Ward wrote:
> My final set-up will probably look like:
>
> - master node on a 300W supply
> - three slaves on a 450W supply.

Alan, how did you go about attaching three motherboard connectors to
that one 450W supply?  Where'd you buy the connectors, and did you
have to solder them on or is there some sort of Y type splitter cable
available?

Also, did you do anything to get the three slaves to power on
sequentially rather than all at once?  Or are you just hoping that the
supply will be able to handle the peak load on startup?

In my limited experience with Athlons, I've seen cheap power supplies
cause memory errors.  (In my case, only while also spinning a hard
drive while compiling the Linux kernel; memtest86 did not cach the
problem.)  So I'd definitely be inclined to try using one high quality
supply rather than three cheap ones.  But until your emails to the
list though I hadn't heard of anyone doing it.

--
Andrew Piskorski <atp at piskorski.com>
http://www.piskorski.com