Linux support for AMD Opteron with Broadcom NICs

bvds at bvds.geneva.edu bvds at bvds.geneva.edu
Thu Jul 3 08:42:29 EDT 2003

Simon Hogg wrote:

>However, as far as I am aware, it should be possible to install a vanilla
>x86-32 distribution and recompile everything for 64-bit (with a recent GCC
>(3.3 is the best bet at the moment I suppose)).

I attempted this:  start with 32-bit RedHat 9 and gradually move up
to 64 bit.  It proved to be rather difficult since you need to
compile a 64-bit kernel and you need to install gcc as a cross-compiler
to do this.  And then you would need to figure out how to handle
the 32- and 64-bit libraries, yuck!  I found it much easier to start
over with gingin64 (which has worked well for me).  I found no
advantage to installing a 32-bit OS.

Brett van de Sande