Linux support for AMD Opteron with Broadcom NICs

Anand Vaidya anand at novaglobal.com.sg
Wed Jul 2 22:01:02 EDT 2003

I have tested a Dual Opteron with Mandrake and RedHat Linux. (MSI board with
4GB, and Avant 1U)

Mandrake did not have ISO images (when I downloaded) so I had to download the
files & install via NFS. There were lot of problems though. Download it from
ftp://ftp.leo.org/pub/comp/os/unix/linux/Mandrake/Mandrake/9.0/x86_64

RedHat GinGin which is RH's version of RHL for Opteron (64bit) can be
downloaded from
ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/preview/gingin64/en/iso/x86_64/
as ISO images.

RH installed and ran extremely well. We did run some benchmarks (smp jobs).
Pretty impressive!

HTH

-Anand

On Wednesday 02 July 2003 06:48 am, Martin Siegert wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I have a dual AMD Opteron for a week or so as a demo and try to install
> Linux on it - so far with little success.
>
> First of all: doing a google search for x86-64 Linux turns up a lot of
> press releases but not much more, particularly nothing one could download
> and install. Even a direct search on the SuSE and Mandrake sites shows
> only press releases. Sigh.
>
> Anyway: I found a few ftp sites that supply a Mandrake-9.0 x86_64 version.
> Thus I did a ftp installation which after (many) hickups actually worked.
> However, that distribution does not support the onboard Broadcom 5704
> NICs. I also could not get the driver from the broadcom web site to work
> (insmod fails with "could not find MAC address in NVRAM").
>
> Thus I tried to compile the 2.4.21 kernel which worked, but
> "insmod tg3" freezes the machine instantly.
>
> Thus, so far I am not impressed.
>
> For those of you who have such a box: which distribution are you using?
> Any advice on how to get those GigE Broadcom NICs to work?
>
> Cheers,
> Martin

Regards,
Anand Vaidya