memory nightmare

Stephen Gaudet sgaudet at
Wed Jul 2 14:24:42 EDT 2003

Hello Jack,

Jack Wathey wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Jul 2003, Stephen Gaudet wrote:
>>First, I'd make sure the memory comes from a major supplier, Kingston,
>>Crucial, Virtium, Ventura, Transend, etc...
> The supplier is not one of those you listed above.  I've been dealing with
> them as well as with the vendor, and, at this point, I'd prefer not to
> disclose their name on the list.  (Yes, I know, Steve: I should have just
> bought these sticks from you in the first place!  Oh well.  We live and
> learn.)
>>Next, make sure all the ram has the same chipset Samsung, Infineon,
>>etc...  If you have various sticks in these systems where the chip
>>manufacture is different they sometime don't behave well.  So try to
>>make everything match.
> The latest batch of 69 sticks all used Samsung chips.

Same part number and speed?  What does the motherboard manufacture call
for in regards to cas latency 2 or 3?  Best is usually 2.

>>Last I check cooling.  Do these systems have proper cooling?

> Yes, definitely.  I monitor that closely.  Ambient temperature around the
> motherboards never exceeded 77 deg F throughout these tests, and was
> less than 70F most of the time.  I can't monitor cpu temperature directly
> when memtest86 is running, but, in the same enclosure, when I can monitor
> cpu temperatures, they are typically 55C or less.  I've been experimenting
> with different heatsinks.  Some of the boards have Thermalright sk6+/Delta
> 60X25mm coolers, which keep the cpus below 40C most of the time.

Don't rule out the motherboard or processors.  I agree with you looks
like ram. However, might turn out to be a bad series of motherboards,
and or processors.   Memtest86 also shows cache errors.  My own system
here at home had memmory errors and I though for sure it was the ram.
Turned out to be the memory controller chip on the motherboard.

Steve Gaudet

Wild Open Source (home office)
Bedford, NH 03110