Linux support for AMD Opteron with Broadcom NICs

Jyh-Shyong Ho c00jsh00 at nchc.gov.tw
Tue Jul 1 21:53:05 EDT 2003

Hi,

We installed SuSE Enterprise 8 for AMD64 on our dual AMD Opteron box,
it works fine for the on-board Broadcom NICs. SuSE Enterprise 8 for
AMD64
is not free, however. It uses a special 2.4.19Suse kernel which SuSE
has done a lot of works to make sure most drivers behave normally.
We tried kernel 2.4.21 but it failed for Realtek NICs. At the moment,
there are not so many drivers supported in kernel 2.4.21 for Opteron.

Jyh-Shyong Ho, PhD.
Research Scientist
National Center for High-Performance Computing
Hsinchu, Taiwan, ROC