Linux support for AMD Opteron with Broadcom NICs

Andrew Shewmaker shewa at inel.gov
Tue Jul 1 19:41:16 EDT 2003

Martin Siegert wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I have a dual AMD Opteron for a week or so as a demo and try to install
> Linux on it - so far with little success.
>
> First of all: doing a google search for x86-64 Linux turns up a lot of
> press releases but not much more, particularly nothing one could download
> and install. Even a direct search on the SuSE and Mandrake sites shows
> only press releases. Sigh.
>
> Anyway: I found a few ftp sites that supply a Mandrake-9.0 x86_64 version.
> Thus I did a ftp installation which after (many) hickups actually worked.
> However, that distribution does not support the onboard Broadcom 5704
> NICs. I also could not get the driver from the broadcom web site to work
> (insmod fails with "could not find MAC address in NVRAM").
>
> Thus I tried to compile the 2.4.21 kernel which worked, but
> "insmod tg3" freezes the machine instantly.
>
> Thus, so far I am not impressed.
>
> For those of you who have such a box: which distribution are you using?
> Any advice on how to get those GigE Broadcom NICs to work?
>
> Cheers,
> Martin

The evaluation box I had an account on ran SuSE and Mark Hahn is running
RedHat 9 without problems.  Other than customizing a regular x86 distro,
you'll probably have to buy an enterprise or cluster version for now.

http://www.suse.com/us/business/products/server/sles/prices_amd64.html
http://www.mandrakesoft.com/products/clustering

It doesn't look like Debian is ready yet:
https://alioth.debian.org/projects/debian-x86-64/

I couldn't find redhat's opteron pages.

Andrew

--