Cluster over standard network

Dean Johnson dtj at uberh4x0r.org
Tue Jul 1 09:48:30 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2003-07-01 at 08:15, Cannon, Andrew wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Has anyone implemented a cluster over a normal office network using the PCs
> on people's desks as part of the cluster? If so, what was the performance of
> the cluster like? What sort of performance penalty was there for the
> ordinary user and what was the network traffic like?
>
> Just a thought...

It all depends on what your application does with that network and how beefy your nodes are.
For instance, if you were to run something like Amber (molecular dynamics) over an office
LAN, I can pretty much guarantee that you will not win any office popularity polls. It
simply saturates the network. If your nodes are reasonably slow you might be better,
relatively, as you might have reduced network traffic because you nodes are spending
more time thinking. I wouldn't depend on it.

On the other hand, you have to consider what those pesky co-workers are doing to YOUR
network. ;-) Use of M$ Outlook and streaming mp3's off fileservers, to mention a couple,
will cut into YOUR bandwidth causing performance problems.

Just my $0.02 worth.

	-Dean