interconnect latency, dissected.

Joachim Worringen joachim at
Tue Jul 1 04:03:17 EDT 2003

James Cownie:
> Mark Hahn wrote:
> > does anyone have references handy for recent work on interconnect
> > latency?
> Try
> It doesn't have Inifinband, but does have Quadrics, Myrinet 2000, GigE and
> IBM.

Nice paper showing interesting properties.  But some metrics seem a little bit
dubious to me: in 5.2, they seem to see an advantage if the "overlap
potential" is higher (when they compare Quadrics and Myrinet) - which usually
just results in higher MPI latencies, as this potiential (on small messages)
can not be exploited. Even with overlapping mulitple communication
operations, the faster interconnect remains faster. This is especially true
for small-message latency.

>From the contemporary (cluster) interconnects, SCI is missing next to
Infiniband. It would have been interesting to see the results for SCI as it
has a very different communication model than most of the other interconnects
(most resembling the T3E one).

Joachim Worringen - NEC C&C research lab St.Augustin
fon +49-2241-9252.20 - fax .99 -