Memory selection

Dave Lane dlane at
Thu Jan 16 11:01:44 EST 2003

Hi all,

I'm going to be building a AMD MP-based beowulf system this spring and have
a question or about memory selection for the nodes.

First question is which type of memory to choose: ECC, non-ECC, Registered
or not. My understanding that registered memory is slower, but allows for
more capacity (more chips) on a DIMM. This should not be an issue for me,
since I expect that 512M in each node will be enough.

Second question is if memory errors occur with ECC memory does Linux know
about and report problems in the logs? (this does occur on Sun Solaris

... Dave
Saint Mary's University