fast blackplanes (was Re: Experience with SMC 8624T L2 switches and nics)

Richard Walsh rbw at
Thu Feb 27 09:51:42 EST 2003

On Wed Feb 26 17:42:27 2003, Dale Harris wrote:

>Off hand, it appears now to be cheaper per port to go with Myrinet with a
>high number of nodes (128+ node cluster), than it is with a big GigE
>capable switch.

That's the same place my mind came to rest, but the Force10 switch folks
were selling hard the idea that they were cheaper per port at >=128. It
is a bit hard to believe for a big, full service, Layer 3, router/switch.
Has anybody worked up the numbers recently?

# Richard Walsh
# Project Manager, Cluster Computing, Computational
#                  Chemistry and Finance
# netASPx, Inc.
# 1200 Washington Ave. So.
# Minneapolis, MN 55415
# VOX:    612-337-3467
# FAX:    612-337-3400
# EMAIL:  rbw at, richard.walsh at
#         rbw at
# "What you can do, or dream you can, begin it;
#  Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it."
#                                  -Goethe