fast blackplanes (was Re: Experience with SMC 8624T L2 switches and nics)

Patrick Geoffray patrick at
Wed Feb 26 19:01:21 EST 2003

On Wed, 2003-02-26 at 17:44, Dale Harris wrote:
> Off hand, it appears now to be cheaper per port to go with Myrinet with a
> high number of nodes (128+ node cluster), than it is with a big GigE
> capable switch.

In a few months, we will start to ship switch blades with GigE port on
them. Cost model: roughly $500 per port. That should drive the price per
node of large GigE cluster down.

Patrick Geoffray, Phd
Myricom, Inc.