serial over lan

Maurice Hilarius maurice at
Sun Feb 23 12:48:04 EST 2003

With regards to your message at 10:02 AM 2/23/03,
beowulf-request at Where you stated:
>A quick comment and a question.
>The serial port redirect available on the IPMI option cards on
>SuperMicro motherboards is significantly flawed, at least in the current
>implementation of the firmware.

>Don Holmgren

While I have not done much with the SMicro implementation, I have worked
with the Tyan SMDC.
Tyan's SMDC (Server Management Daughter Card)  utilizes a separate discrete
processor for these tasks.
It supports monitoring and control over the onboard ethernet and/or
serialports, and works pretty nicely.
It does not generate CPU load or time loss.

With our best regards,

Maurice W. Hilarius       Telephone: 01-780-456-9771
Hard Data Ltd.               FAX:       01-780-456-9772
11060 - 166 Avenue        mailto:maurice at
Edmonton, AB, Canada
    T5X 1Y3