serial over lan

Donald Becker becker at
Fri Feb 21 20:11:29 EST 2003

On Fri, 21 Feb 2003, Dale Harris wrote:

> Just wondering if anyone is doing anything with Serial over LAN?  I
> heard that H.J. Lu had written some driver for linux.  I assume this is
> something you can use to do serial console redirect.  Or at least that
> is some of the suggestion at:

This is IPMI serial port redirect.
While it's not specifically part of IPMI 1.5, most IPMI 1.5 implementations
include it.

Power control and serial port redirect (BIOS setup and boot status
monitoring) are the features that makes IPMI 1.5 really compelling
for cluster hardware (albeit with a ugly underlying implementation).
Combined it with serial port redirect for BIOS configuration, you can
manage everything on the machine over the network.  Even without an OS
or a crashed system, you can still examine the hardware and control power.

The implementation is challenging and varies by system.  We implement it
for customers, but right now it would be a huge amount of work to
support it for aribitrary kernels and configurations.

Donald Becker				becker at
Scyld Computing Corporation
Annapolis MD 21403			410-990-9993