MPICH ch_p4mpd device questions

Robert Latham robl at
Tue Feb 18 17:35:39 EST 2003

On Tue, Feb 18, 2003 at 02:00:55PM -0500, Jeff Layton wrote:
>    I'm attempting to use the ch_p4mpd device on a linux cluster
> with MPICH.  I'm getting to the point that I need to start the mpd
> system daemons on the nodes. However, when I try to use rsh to
> do this, the mpd's are never started. Does anyone have any advice
> on an efficient way to do this (but not using ssh :)?

hi jeff

mpd doesn't use rsh or ssh.   you start a "ring" of listener processes
with mpdstart, then mpirun (if you configured mpich to use the
ch_p4mpd device, like you did) talks to the mpd processes.

and send a bug report to mpi-maint if the documentation isn't good
enough :>

Rob Latham
Argonne National Labs, IL USA                B29D F333 664A 4280 315B