getting data to nodes....

Dean Johnson dtj at
Fri Feb 14 14:43:20 EST 2003

On Fri, 2003-02-14 at 12:38, Mike Eggleston wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Feb 2003, ambrose lewis wrote:
> > Hi All:
> > I'm thinking about using an MPI code to analyze a
> > large remote sensing dataset.
> > I'm wondering the best way to distribute the data to
> > the individual nodes (NFS, MPI message, other)????
> > Is there a "best practice" to handle this?
> I use pvm to send messages to my nodes to read a specific
> datafile that resides in a NFS filesystem.

Depending on the size of the data, nature of the data, the network
setup, and how your application uses the data, this can be a real bad
thing. For instance, if it broadcasts the message "go grab your data",
all the nodes will gang tackle the nfs server, to your detriment. If
your application staggers the messages to get the data, then you would
be *much* better off.