Creating user accounts....

Dale Harris rodmur at
Thu Feb 13 22:29:36 EST 2003

On Thu, Feb 13, 2003 at 06:00:55PM -0500, Srihari Angaluri elucidated:
> Is there any serious performance/scalability issue to using NIS, as
> opposed to copying the individual files to each and every node on the
> cluster? Is this even a desirable option for large clusters, for

Well, if you have large user base, I imagine it could add more traffic
on your network.  So if your application is on the same network, that
could be a little bit of bandwidth that is being drained from the
application.  Typically I wouldn't think you'd need centralized
authentication in a cluster, which is what NIS gives you.  But then
that's me...

Dale Harris
rodmur at