Back-UPS garbage? (was: Quick survey -- UPSs on slave nodes?)

Drew Raines drew-list-beowulf at
Tue Feb 11 11:02:14 EST 2003

<alvin at> writes:

> On Mon, 10 Feb 2003, Drew Raines wrote:
>> I assume you're referring to the ``Back-UPS'' line.

> but there are also other equivalents at the same price range
> that actually works ... sustaining for about 15-20 minutes

> you cant give me an APC anymore and expect a critical server
> to be plugged into it and expect it to stay up during power outage
> 	( can you can see the graveyard of dead apc's )

What are the alternatives?  Do you mean in the ``glorified surge
protector'' market, or in the overall UPS category?  I haven't seen
anything competing with APC in the latter, and possibly one or too
in the former..

I'd love to know experiences with specific models.