[Beowulf] Beowulf Benchmark

Dean Michael C. Berris mikhailberis at free.net.ph
Wed Dec 31 03:22:00 EST 2003

Good day everyone,

I am a student at the University of the Philippines at Los Banos (UPLB)
here in the Philippines, and I'm currently doing my thesis on projective
computational load balancing algorithm for Beowulf clusters. I am in
charge of two homogeneous clusters, each having 5 nodes, one based on
the x86 architecture while the other is based on the UltraSPARC
architecture.

I am relatively new to clustering technologies, but I have been at a
loss while looking for possible benchmarking tools for clusters. I have
seen some libraries like LINPACK for linear algebra, but I don't know
how to use it for benchmarking.

I have implemented a parallel genetic algorithm solution to the
asymmetric traveling salesman problem (100 nodes) on the x86 based
cluster, as well as a prime number finder on both the x86 and UltraSPARC
clusters. I have results on both the x86 cluster as well as the
UltraSPARC cluster with regard to the prime number finder, but I haven't
an idea as to how I could come up with the FLOPS that either cluster can
do.

Any tutorials, insights, and examples would be most welcome.

Thanks in advance!

--
Dean Michael C. Berris <mikhailberis at free.net.ph>