[Beowulf] Websites for small clusters

Douglas Eadline, Cluster World Magazine deadline at linux-mag.com
Tue Dec 30 10:16:40 EST 2003

On 30 Dec 2003, D. Scott wrote:

> Hi
>
> How did you calculate mega flops?
>
> I will download and look into the benchmark program you are using.
>
> Could we aggreed on which benchmark software to use so that we can compare
> performance of each small cluster?

Check out:

http://www.cluster-rant.com/article.pl?sid=03/03/17/1838236

It explains a bit about the Beowulf Performance suite (BPS), it is
not intended to measure LINPAC MFLOPS, but rather help you see if the
cluster is working properly. It may take a little fidgeting to get it
to work as there is no standard way to do things, but it can be useful
to test if the cluster is working properly and measure perforamnce using
the NAS parallel test suite.

Let me know if you need help.

Doug

> http://home.attmil.ne.jp/a/jm/
>
> Gives me an idea to put together a basic site. I'll see what I can do.
>
> It did take me alot of time and effect searching the net for information.
> I'll see if I can put it all together.
>

> Dan
>
> On Dec 30 2003, Josh Moore wrote:
>
> > I have seen a few but not that many websites around dealing with
> > indviduals clusters.  Most links were down and it took a great deal of
> > searching to come up with a few pages.  That is the main reason I made
> > my website http://home.attmil.ne.jp/a/jm/  dealing with the building of
> > my cluster.  It started as a two node cluster and has updates has I add
> > more nodes and run other tests.
> >
> > Jim Lux wrote:
> >
> > > I fully agree... I suspect that most readers of this list start with a
> > > small cluster, and a historical record of what it took to get it up and
> > > running is quite useful, especially the hiccups and problems that you
> > > inevitably encounter. (e.g. what do you mean the circuit breaker just
> > > tripped on the plug strip when we plugged all those things into it?)
> > >
> > > ----- Original Message ----- From: "Per Lindström"
> > > <Per.Lindstrom at me.chalmers.se> To: "D. Scott" <ds10025 at cam.ac.uk>;
> > > "Anand TNC" <anand at mecheng.iisc.ernet.in> Cc: "Beowulf"
> > > <beowulf at beowulf.org>; "Josh Moore" <kong at thejosh.net>; "Per"
> > > <Per.Lindstrom at madpenguin.org> Sent: Monday, December 29, 2003 11:59 AM
> > > Subject: [Beowulf] Websites for small clusters

Editor-in-chief                   ClusterWorld Magazine
Desk: 610.865.6061
Cell: 610.390.7765         Redefining High Performance Computing
Fax:  610.865.6618