[Beowulf] Semi-philosophical Question

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Fri Dec 19 14:10:52 EST 2003

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003, Leigh wrote:

> At 06:38 AM 12/19/2003 -0500, Robert G. Brown wrote:
>

> >Do you know how to program?  C?  Perl?
> >
> >If so, I've got a few toys for you to play with...but they'll be boring
> >toys if you can't tinker.
> >
> >    rgb
>
> Unfortunately, I don't. I can read and understand code, but I can't code
> myself  yet.

Ahh.  The biggest problem you'll then have with clusters is that you're
stuck running other people's code.  There is some "fun" code out there
to play with that doesn't require anything but building and running in
e.g. the PVM or MPI distributions and elsewhere, but not a whole lot.
To go further at some point you'll have to learn to code.  Then you can
write applications like one that generates all the prime numbers with
less than X digits and the like...;-)

   rgb

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu