[Beowulf] Semi-philosophical Question

Lombard, David N david.n.lombard at intel.com
Fri Dec 19 09:52:32 EST 2003

From: Leigh; Sent: Thursday, December 18, 2003 4:45 PM

> It hasn't been decided what the cluster will be used for. The entire
> thing,
> thus far, is an experiment. Mostly to see if two people who so far,
have
> no
> clue how to build one can get one built and running (so far so good, I
> think) and from there, we'll putz around and see what we can do with
it.
> Maybe have fun with SETI at home, or perhaps sell space upon the "big"
one
> once we get it going for scientists to be able to run data upon.

For learning purposes, have a blast.  But, before you make a "big" one
that others will use, make sure you know *what* the cluster is being
used for and that you design the cluster to meet those requirements.

You will probably be much better off going to a cluster builder that
focuses on your users' applications and builds the right system based on
those requirements.

--
David N. Lombard

My comments do not represent the opinion of Intel