[Beowulf] Semi-philosophical Question

Lombard, David N david.n.lombard at intel.com
Fri Dec 19 09:52:32 EST 2003

From: Leigh; Sent: Thursday, December 18, 2003 4:45 PM
> It hasn't been decided what the cluster will be used for. The entire
> thing,
> thus far, is an experiment. Mostly to see if two people who so far,
> no
> clue how to build one can get one built and running (so far so good, I
> think) and from there, we'll putz around and see what we can do with
> Maybe have fun with SETI at home, or perhaps sell space upon the "big"
> once we get it going for scientists to be able to run data upon.

For learning purposes, have a blast.  But, before you make a "big" one
that others will use, make sure you know *what* the cluster is being
used for and that you design the cluster to meet those requirements.

You will probably be much better off going to a cluster builder that
focuses on your users' applications and builds the right system based on
those requirements.

David N. Lombard

My comments do not represent the opinion of Intel
Beowulf mailing list, Beowulf at beowulf.org