[Beowulf] Semi-philosophical Question

Leigh leigh at twilightdreams.net
Thu Dec 18 16:19:01 EST 2003

I was talking over Beowulf clusters with a coworker (as I have been working
on learning to build one for my company) and he came up with an interesting
question that I was unsure of.

As most of the data is saved upon the "gateway" and the other machines
simply access it to use the data, what happens when multiple machines are
making use of the same data and they all try to save at once? Do they all
work as one system and save it only once, or can multiple nodes
theoretically be using one file and both try to save to it?