[Beowulf] Quiet *and* powerful

Andrew Latham lathama at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 13 13:55:12 EST 2003

koolance.com has rackmount cases that use a water cooling system that is both
cool and quite. It also is a standard rackmount case that would free up some
design issues..

http://www.transtec.ch/CH/E/products/workstations/linuxworkstations/transtec1200lownoiseworkstation.html?fsid=342edfd38a845c179dd18ef965091b2d

> In practice in the office the box can barely be noticed,  I can imagine
> a dozen or more
> of these boxes would not disturb a normal conversation.
>
>     Dan
>

> Joshua Baker-LePain wrote:
>
> >Yes, I know this has been discussed a couple of times, and that my stated
> >goals are at odds with each other.  But I really need the best bang for
> >the noise for a system that will reside in the same room with patients
> >undergoing diagnostic ultrasound scanning.  Our current setup (6 1U dual
> >2.4GHz Xeons, with about 11 little fans per node) is ridiculously loud,
> >and annoys both the patients and the physicians.  This is Bad.
> >
> >We're willing to pay for better, but don't want to take too much of a
> >speed hit.  Does anybody have a good vendor for quiet but still high
> >performing systems?  Is there any hope in the 1U form factor (my Opteron
> >nodes are somewhat quieter, since they use squirrel cage fans, but are
> >still too loud), or should I look at, e.g., putting Quad Opterons in a 3
> >or 4U case?  Or should I look at lashing together some towers (this system
> >also needs to be somewhat portable)?
> >
> >Thanks for any hints, pointers, recommendations, or flames.

=====
Andrew Latham -LathamA - Penguin Loving, Moralist Agnostic.

What Is an agnostic? -  An agnostic thinks it impossible to know the truth
in matters such as, a god or the future with which religions are concerned
with. Or, if not impossible, at least impossible at the present time.

LathamA.com - (lay-th-ham-eh) - lathama at lathama.com - lathama at yahoo.com