[Beowulf] Simple Cluster

Jim Lux James.P.Lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Dec 12 13:30:44 EST 2003

At 04:50 PM 12/12/2003 +0100, Michael Banck wrote:
>On Fri, Dec 12, 2003 at 07:32:57AM -0800, Jim Lux wrote:
> > One could always just boot 4 copies of Knoppix, but I don't know that
> > there's many "cluster management" tools in Knoppix.
>
>While Knoppix is all cool with that self-configuration and stuff, I've
>never heard it mentioned when it came to low-level hardware and RAM
>requirements. Sure, one must not boot up in KDE|GNOME, but I doubt that
>even the console mode has a small memory footprint. I'd like to be
>proven wrong, of course :)

I have booted Knoppix into command line mode in 64MB, and maybe 32MB.. I'll
have to go down into the lab and check.  These are ancient Micron Win95 ISA
machines we have to run old hardware specific in-circuit-emulators from
Analog Devices.  One machine didn't work, but I think that was because the
CD-ROM is broken, not because of other resources.

>Michael

James Lux, P.E.
Spacecraft Telecommunications Section
4800 Oak Grove Drive