[Beowulf] Quiet *and* powerful

Joe Landman landman at scalableinformatics.com
Fri Dec 12 13:03:00 EST 2003

Hi Joshua:

  You should probably look to larger cases with larger fans.  The bigger
fans move more air at the same RPM.  Also, larger cases are easier to
pad for sound absorption.  The Xeon's I have seen have been using blower
technology which is simply not quiet.  A 2-3 U system might be easier to
cool with a larger fan (~10+ cm).  A better case would help as well if
you could pad it without drastically affecting cooling (airflow).

   Other options include silencing enclosures (enclosures with acoustic
padding) to encapsulate the existing systems.  These reduce roars to
hums, annoying but lower intensity.

Joe

--
Joseph Landman, Ph.D