[Beowulf] Quiet *and* powerful

Lombard, David N david.n.lombard at intel.com
Fri Dec 12 13:10:51 EST 2003

From: Joshua Baker-LePain; Sent: Friday, December 12, 2003 9:09 AM

> Yes, I know this has been discussed a couple of times, and that my
stated
> goals are at odds with each other.  But I really need the best bang
for
> the noise for a system that will reside in the same room with patients
> undergoing diagnostic ultrasound scanning.  Our current setup (6 1U
dual
> 2.4GHz Xeons, with about 11 little fans per node) is ridiculously
loud,
> and annoys both the patients and the physicians.  This is Bad.

It's those tiny high-speed (< 1U) fans that are killing you.

Cheapest solution: Move the system out of the room?  Have you looked at
just running a network cable to a minimal diskless system for the
in-room needs?  I assume those needs are graphic head plus some manner
of sensor input.  The in-room unit could boot from the cluster, located
elsewhere.

In-room solution, but possibly above your price range: Go to a cluster
builder for a custom solution that removes the p/s and fans from each
box, centralizes the larger and slower fan(s) and p/s in the cabinet,
running dc to each node.

Depending on your skill and labor availability (I did see duke.edu in
your addr), you might be able to do this yourself or get some, um, cheap
labor.

--
David N. Lombard

My comments represent my opinions, not those of Intel.