[Beowulf] Quiet *and* powerful

Fri Dec 12 12:54:09 EST 2003

hi ya joshua

- what makes noise is typiclly the qualityof the fan, the
  fan blade design and the size of the air holes and
  distance to the fans

- a fan held up in the open air shold be close to noiseless

- if you want 1U .. you have to put good quality lateral squirrel cages
  far away from everything and still be able to force air
  across the cpu heatsink fins
	- you should not hear anything

- if you go to 12U or midtower... there is no noise problem
  except for the cheezy "el cheapo" power supply fan
	( get a good power supply w/ good fan and you wont hear
	( the power supply either

- next choice isto use peltier cooling but you still have to cool
  down the fin on the hot side of the peltier..
	- you can also attach a bracket from teh cpu heatink
	or peltier heatsink to the case ... to get rid of the heat
	assuming the ambient room temp can pull heat off the case

- sounds like your app is based on "quiet operation" and does
  not need to be 1Us ...
	- i'd stack 6 dual-xons mb into one custom chassis and
	it should be quiet as a "nursing room"

== to prove the point ...
	- take all the fans off ( its not needed for this test )

	- take off all the covers to the chassis

	- arrange the motherboards all facing the same way

	- put a giant 12" household fan blowing air across
	the cpu heatink ( air flowing only in 1 direction )
		- preferably side to side in the direction
		of the cpu heatsink fins

	- put a carboard box around the chassis and leave the
	unobstructed air flow of the cardboard opn on the
	cpu side and opposite site
		- put white hospital linen on the box
		that says "do not sit here"

	( probably should do that with the doors locked so
	( that nobody see the cardboard experiment

- after that, you know what your chassis looks like ...
  and still be quiet ..  or you're stuck with 6 mid-tower systems
  vs noisy 1Us
	- 2Us suffer the same noise fate as 1Us ( the way most people
	build it )

- fun stuff .. making the system quiet and run cool ... temperature wise

have fun
alvin