[Beowulf] Simple Cluster

Jeff Layton jeffrey.b.layton at lmco.com
Fri Dec 12 11:50:43 EST 2003

   I can think of three solutions. The first one I can think of is
called clusterKnoppix (bofh.be/clusterknoppix/). It has
OpenMOSIX built-in so you can run compute farm types
of applications (and you get to learn about OpenMOSIX).
You can also run MPI and PVM apps on it.
   The second one I can think of is Warewulf
(warewulf-cluster.org). The primary 'mode' of it allows
you to boot the nodes over the network to a RAM disk
about 70 Megs in size. You could also boot of a CD or floppy
and then pull the install over the network.
   The third one is called Bootable Cluster CD
(www.cs.uni.edu/~gray/bccd/). It is somewhat like
clusterKnoppix but I'm not sure it uses OpenMOSIX.
   A fourth alternative might be Thin-Oscar
(thin-oscar.ccs.usherbrooke.ca/). I don't think it's ready
for prime-time, but you might take a look.

Good Luck!

Jeff

> Sure you can do it. It won't be a ball of fire speed wise, and probably
> wouldn't be a cost effective solution to doing any "real work", but it
> will
> compute..
>
> Search the web for the "Pondermatic" which, as I recall, was a couple or
> three P1s.  And of course, very early clusters were made with 486's.
>
> Your big challenge is probably going to be (easily) getting an
> appropriate
> distribution that fits within the disk and RAM limits.  Yes, before
> all the
> flames start, I know it's possible to make a version that fits in 16K
> on an
> 8088, and that would be bloatware compared to someone's special 6502
> Linux
> implementation that runs on old Apple IIs, etc.etc.etc., but nobody would
> call that easy.  What Robert is probably looking for is a "stick the
> CDROM
> in and go" kind of solution, and, just like in the Windows world, the
> current, readily available (as in download the ISO and go) solutions
> tend to
> assume one has a vintage 2001 computer sitting around with a several
> hundred
> MHz processor and 64MB of RAM, etc.
>
> Actually, I'd be very glad to hear that this is not the case..
>
> Maybe one of the old Scyld "cluster on a disk" might be a good way?
>
> Perhaps Rocks?  It sort of self installs.
>
> One could always just boot 4 copies of Knoppix, but I don't know that
> there's many "cluster management" tools in Knoppix.

Dr. Jeff Layton
Aerodynamics and CFD
Lockheed-Martin Aeronautical Company - Marietta