[Beowulf] Simple Cluster

Jim Lux james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Fri Dec 12 10:32:57 EST 2003

Sure you can do it. It won't be a ball of fire speed wise, and probably
wouldn't be a cost effective solution to doing any "real work", but it will
compute..

Search the web for the "Pondermatic" which, as I recall, was a couple or
three P1s.  And of course, very early clusters were made with 486's.

Your big challenge is probably going to be (easily) getting an appropriate
distribution that fits within the disk and RAM limits.  Yes, before all the
flames start, I know it's possible to make a version that fits in 16K on an
8088, and that would be bloatware compared to someone's special 6502 Linux
implementation that runs on old Apple IIs, etc.etc.etc., but nobody would
call that easy.  What Robert is probably looking for is a "stick the CDROM
in and go" kind of solution, and, just like in the Windows world, the
current, readily available (as in download the ISO and go) solutions tend to
assume one has a vintage 2001 computer sitting around with a several hundred
MHz processor and 64MB of RAM, etc.

Actually, I'd be very glad to hear that this is not the case..

Maybe one of the old Scyld "cluster on a disk" might be a good way?

Perhaps Rocks?  It sort of self installs.

One could always just boot 4 copies of Knoppix, but I don't know that
there's many "cluster management" tools in Knoppix.