[Beowulf] Simple Cluster

Fri Dec 12 09:10:15 EST 2003

On Fri, 12 Dec 2003, Robert G. Brown wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 rmd003 at sympatico.ca wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> >
> > Would anyone know if it is possible to make a cluster with four P1
> > computers? If it is possible are there any instructions on how to do

only good thing that wuld come out of it would be learning what files
need to be changed  to get a cluster working

> Sure.  There are instructions in my column in Cluster World 1,1 that
> should suffice.  There is also a bunch of stuff that might be enough in
> resources linked to http:/www.phy.duke.edu/brahma/index.php, including
> an online book on clusters.  You can probably get free issues including
> this one with a trial subscription at the clusterworld website.
>
> The problems I can see with using Pentiums at this point are:
>
>   a) likely insufficient memory and disk unless you really work on the
> linux installation;
>
>   b) a single $500 vanilla box from your local cheap vendor would be
> MUCH MUCH MUCH faster.  As in MUCH faster.  Raw CPU clock a factor of

now days.. you can get a brand new mini-itx P3-800 equivalent for $125
and you can even use the old memory from the Pentium ( the p3-800 uses
pc-133 memory .. amazingly silly.. .. p3-800 is the EPIA-800 )
	- just the diference in time spent waiting for the old pentiums
	vs the mini-itx would make the mini-itx a better choice
	since you can have a useful cluster after playing

	- but than again, one of my 3 primary "useful" machine is still a
	p-90 w/ 48MB of memory ( primary == used everyday by me )

have fun
alvin