[Beowulf] Simple Cluster

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Fri Dec 12 08:40:12 EST 2003

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 rmd003 at sympatico.ca wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Would anyone know if it is possible to make a cluster with four P1
> computers? If it is possible are there any instructions on how to do

Sure.  There are instructions in my column in Cluster World 1,1 that
should suffice.  There is also a bunch of stuff that might be enough in
resources linked to http:/www.phy.duke.edu/brahma/index.php, including
an online book on clusters.  You can probably get free issues including
this one with a trial subscription at the clusterworld website.

The problems I can see with using Pentiums at this point are:

  a) likely insufficient memory and disk unless you really work on the
linux installation;

  b) a single $500 vanilla box from your local cheap vendor would be
MUCH MUCH MUCH faster.  As in MUCH faster.  Raw CPU clock a factor of
10, add a factor of 2 to 4 for CPU family and more memory and so forth.
Likely ten or more times faster than your entire cluster of four
Pentiums on a good day.  SO your cluster needs to be a "just for fun"
cluster, for hobbyist or teaching purposes, and would still be much
better (faster and easier to build) with more current CPUs and systems
with a minimum of 128 to 256 MB of memory each.

   rgb

> this or the software required etc...?
>
> Robert Van Amelsvoort
> rmd003 at sympatico.ca

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu