[Beowulf] Re: EMC, anyone?

Jeffrey B. Layton laytonjb at comcast.net
Tue Dec 9 17:56:04 EST 2003

David,

   We tried using EMC for storage for one of our
cluster at work. We have a node in the cluster (we
called it the IO node) that was SAN attached to an
EMC SAN. Then that space was NFS exported
throughout the cluster (288 nodes in total).
   Initially we exported the NFS storage over
Myrinet. After some problems we tried it over
FastE.
   The end result was that we never got it to work
correctly. We had filesystems that would just
disappear from the IO node and then reappear. We
had lots of file corruptions and files lost. My favorite
was the 2 TB filesystem that had to be fsck (man
that took a long time). We had EMC folks in, Dell
people in (they supplied the EMC certified IO node)
and the cluster vendor in. No one could ever figure
out the problems although the cluster vendor was
able to help the situations some (Dell and EMC
really did nothing to help). Finally, we ended up
taking the IO node out of the cluster and only
NFS mounting it on the master node. We also
forced people to run using the local hard drives and
not over NFS. This helped things, but we still had
problems from time to time.
   The ultimate solution was to convert the IO node
to a NAS box with attached storage.
   Good Luck with your project!

Jeff