[Beowulf] Re: Terrasoft Black Lab Linux

Mike Snitzer msnitzer at lnxi.com
Tue Dec 9 12:21:49 EST 2003

On Tue, Dec 09 2003 at 06:40,
dskr at mac.com <dskr at mac.com> wrote:

> Greetings:
>
> Does anyone on the list have any experience with TerraSoft's Black Lab
> linux?
>
> As many of you may recall, I am a big fan of 'software that sucks less'
> -- to quote a
> wonderful Scyld T-shirt I once saw. Imagine my surprise, then, when I
> found that
> TerraSoft (promulgators of YellowDog and BlackLab Linux for PPC) is
> shipping a
> new version (2.2) of BlackLab that is based on BProc.
>
> Is this good news? I think it could be for TerraSoft ; this move is a
> big upgrade from
> their earlier offering which reminded me of the Dark Times in
> clustering.
> (Does anyone else still remember when we had to set up .rhosts files
> and grab
> our copy of PVM out of someone else's home directory and copy it into
> our own?)
>
> I'd like to see what BlackLab's story is. but I have been unable to
> find any of the
> sources for this product available for download. In particular, I would
> like to know:
>
> 	* Does it use beonss?
>
> 	* Does it use beoboot?
>
> 	* Does it netboot remote Macintoshes?
>
> 	* What version of BProc does it use?
>
> 	* How did they do MPI? Did they crib Don's version
> 	of MPICH for BProc?

I'd imagine you've seen this link:
http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/products/blacklab/

On that site it details the fact that BlackLab v2.2 uses Yellow Dog 3.0 as
its base and that its using Bproc 3.x and Supermon; so they likely just
used Eric Hendrik's (LANL's) Clustermatic 3.0.

Also here is a listing of included software from their site; not too many
_real_ details:
http://www.terrasoftsolutions.com/products/blacklab/included.shtml

Scouring ftp.{yellowdoglinux,terrasoftsolutions.com}.com didn't yield
anything.  I'd imagine terrasoft would answer emailed questions.

Mike