Terrasoft Black Lab Linux

dskr at mac.com dskr at mac.com
Tue Dec 9 08:40:34 EST 2003

Greetings:

Does anyone on the list have any experience with TerraSoft's Black Lab
linux?

As many of you may recall, I am a big fan of 'software that sucks less'
-- to quote a
wonderful Scyld T-shirt I once saw. Imagine my surprise, then, when I
found that
TerraSoft (promulgators of YellowDog and BlackLab Linux for PPC) is
shipping a
new version (2.2) of BlackLab that is based on BProc.

Is this good news? I think it could be for TerraSoft ; this move is a
big upgrade from
their earlier offering which reminded me of the Dark Times in
clustering.
(Does anyone else still remember when we had to set up .rhosts files
and grab
our copy of PVM out of someone else's home directory and copy it into
our own?)

I'd like to see what BlackLab's story is. but I have been unable to
find any of the
sources for this product available for download. In particular, I would
like to know:

	* Does it use beonss?

	* Does it use beoboot?

	* Does it netboot remote Macintoshes?

	* What version of BProc does it use?

	* How did they do MPI? Did they crib Don's version
	of MPICH for BProc?

Additionally, I'm looking for good ideas which can be adapted to a
little
toy I wrote years ago called 'mpi-mandel'. They tout a similar program
and
I was hoping to have a peek at it. Does anyone know if their similar
program
is available under the GPL?

If anyone on this forum has experience with this product, I would
appreciate
your feedback. If anyone can furnish me with the sources or links for
the BlackLab
MPI, beoboot, and mandelbrot program, I would be grateful.

Regards,
	Dan Ridge