autofs

Kimmo Kallio kallio at ebi.ac.uk
Tue Dec 9 07:24:56 EST 2003

On Mon, 8 Dec 2003, Glen Kaukola wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I was wanting to use autofs to mount all the nfs shares on my nodes to
> ease the pain of having an nfs server go down.  But the problem with
> that, is that mpich jobs don't seem to want to run the first time
> around.  If I then run them a second time, the drives are mounted, and
> they run fine.  I don't think my users are going to like that too much
> though, so would anyone know a solution?

Hi,

This is not specific to your application but a general autofs issue: If
and autofs directory is not mounted, it simply doesn't exists and some
operations (like file exists) do fail. As a workaround try doing a
indirect autofs mount via a symlink, instead of mounting:

  /my/directory

do a link :

  /my/directory -> /tmp_mnt/my/directory

and automount /tmp_mnt/my/directory instead, but always use /my/directory
in file references. Resolving the link forces the mount operation and
solves the problem.

However if the automount fails (server down) it doesn't necessarely make
your users any happier as the applications will fail, unless if an long
nfs timeout would kill your application anyway...

Regards,

  Kimmo Kallio, European Bioinformatics Institute