problem allocating large amount of memory

Roland Krause rokrau at
Fri Dec 5 20:05:56 EST 2003

thanks for the clarification. I was now able to squeeze
TASK_UNMAPPED_BASE to a rather small fraction of TASK_SIZE and to
allocate enough memory for the application in question.

Again, thanks a lot for your very helpful comments.

--- Mark Hahn <hahn at> wrote:
> I probably should have commented on the code a bit more.  it
> demonstrates
> three separate things: that for <128K allocations, libc uses the heap
> first, then when that fills (hits the mmap arena) it switches to
> allocating
> in the mmap arena.  if allocations are 128K or more, it *starts* in
> the
> mmap arena (since mmap has advantages when doing large allocations -
> munmap).
> finally, if you statically link and avoid the use of stdio,
> you can make one giant allocation from the end of text up to stack.

Do you Yahoo!?
Free Pop-Up Blocker - Get it now