problem allocating large amount of memory

Lombard, David N david.n.lombard at
Thu Dec 4 18:05:57 EST 2003

From: Josip Loncaric; Sent: Thursday, December 04, 2003 12:05 PM
> In addition to Mark's very helpful address space layout, you may want
> consult this web page:
> which saye:
> "The maximum size of an array that can be created by Intel(r) IA-32
> compilers is 2 GB."

Using the Intel or gcc compilers, a TASK_UNMAPPED_BASE patch, and some
other fiddling, you can create a larger array via brk(2), or (I assume)
malloc(3), and use a larger array.
> due to the fact that:
> "The default Linux* kernel on IA-32 loads shared libraries at 1 GB,
> which limits the contiguous address space available to your program.
> will get a load time error if your program + static data exceed this."

Again, back to the TASK_UNMAPPED_BASE patch and glibc fiddling.

David N. Lombard

My comments represent my opinions, not those of Intel.