Mainboard identification and BIOS dump

Lombard, David N david.n.lombard at
Mon Dec 1 09:43:47 EST 2003

From: Anas Nashif, Saturday, November 29, 2003 8:29 PM
> DMI decode is your friend
This is definitely your friend.

HOWEVER, be aware that the information can vary widely and wildly from
one model computer to another, even among different models from the same

A while ago, I was using the precursor to the above as the basis for a
"system serial number" utility -- even with the few vendors that I was
using at the time, the variety of places to put a serial number, if
available at all, was daunting.

Bottom line: there's some great info there, but don't be surprised by
the inconsistencies.

David N. Lombard

My comments represent my opinions, not those of Intel.