Mainboard identification and BIOS dump

Lombard, David N david.n.lombard at intel.com
Mon Dec 1 09:43:47 EST 2003

From: Anas Nashif, Saturday, November 29, 2003 8:29 PM

> DMI decode is your friend
>
> http://www.nongnu.org/dmidecode/

This is definitely your friend.

HOWEVER, be aware that the information can vary widely and wildly from
one model computer to another, even among different models from the same
OEM.

A while ago, I was using the precursor to the above as the basis for a
"system serial number" utility -- even with the few vendors that I was
using at the time, the variety of places to put a serial number, if
available at all, was daunting.

Bottom line: there's some great info there, but don't be surprised by
the inconsistencies.

--
David N. Lombard

My comments represent my opinions, not those of Intel.