[Beowulf] Simple Cluster

Andrew Latham lathama at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 15 13:39:45 EST 2003

I have a small 9 node p133 cluster. It works.

What does the list think about the idea of developing software on the
smaller(mem) and older systems. I have one so I am bias but I do see that
developing software that can handle 64meg of ram on a P586 system would lend to
tighter and more efficant code. I am not trying to sell the P133 systems, only
thinking about good code for them would be really nice(fast) on a Xeon or
better. I already know this could spark a discussion on busses and chipsets and
processors. Just thinking

--- Jim Lux <James.P.Lux at jpl.nasa.gov> wrote:
> Outstanding, Ranjit...
> Great that you wrote up a page describing how you did it, too!! Especially,
> describing the problems you encountered (i.e. slot dependence for network
> cards..)
>
> So now you can say you built your own supercomputer.  How cool is that.
>
> Jim
>

> At 01:54 PM 12/15/2003 +0000, Ranjit Chagar wrote:
> >Hi robert/jim,
> >
> >Well I built a cluster just for the hell of it. And as you said, before the
> >flames start, it was built just to see what I could do, built from cheap
> >PCs, just for the fun of it. They are 133Mhz PII and I built mine following
> >the instructions from pondermatic. Okay, so in this day and age that is old
> >hat, and so is my system but I enjoyed building it and enjoy playing around
> >with it. And then, being stupid myself, I wrote out instructions so that I
> >could did it again cause I will be the first to admit my memory isn't that
> >good.
> >
> >Full details at http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ranjit.chagar/
> >
> >Robert - if you have any questions let me know.
> >
> >Jim - I dont mean for this email to sound bad but my english sometimes is
> >taken wrong. I mean to say that you can do it if you want.
> >
> >Best Regards, Ranjit
>
> James Lux, P.E.
> Spacecraft Telecommunications Section
> Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Mail Stop 161-213
> 4800 Oak Grove Drive
> Pasadena CA 91109
> tel: (818)354-2075
> fax: (818)393-6875

=====
Andrew Latham -LathamA - Penguin Loving, Moralist Agnostic.

What Is an agnostic? -  An agnostic thinks it impossible to know the truth
in matters such as, a god or the future with which religions are concerned
with. Or, if not impossible, at least impossible at the present time.

LathamA.com - (lay-th-ham-eh) - lathama at lathama.com - lathama at yahoo.com