[Beowulf] Quiet *and* powerful

Joshua Baker-LePain jlb17 at duke.edu
Fri Dec 12 12:08:31 EST 2003

Yes, I know this has been discussed a couple of times, and that my stated
goals are at odds with each other.  But I really need the best bang for
the noise for a system that will reside in the same room with patients
undergoing diagnostic ultrasound scanning.  Our current setup (6 1U dual
2.4GHz Xeons, with about 11 little fans per node) is ridiculously loud,
and annoys both the patients and the physicians.  This is Bad.

We're willing to pay for better, but don't want to take too much of a
speed hit.  Does anybody have a good vendor for quiet but still high
performing systems?  Is there any hope in the 1U form factor (my Opteron
nodes are somewhat quieter, since they use squirrel cage fans, but are
still too loud), or should I look at, e.g., putting Quad Opterons in a 3
or 4U case?  Or should I look at lashing together some towers (this system
also needs to be somewhat portable)?

Thanks for any hints, pointers, recommendations, or flames.

--
Joshua Baker-LePain
Department of Biomedical Engineering