SATA or SCSI drives - Multiple Read/write speeds.

Robin Laing Robin.Laing at drdc-rddc.gc.ca
Tue Dec 9 11:22:53 EST 2003

Mark Hahn wrote:
> | read the reviews and the hype about SATA being better than IDE/ATA and
> | almost as good as SCSI, even better in a couple of areas.
>
> <sigh>
>

> | I have talked to our computer people but they don't have enough
> | experience with SATA drives to give me a straight answer.
>
> there's not THAT much to know.
>

> | My concern is regarding multiple disk read/writes.  With IDE, you can
> | wait for what seems like hours while data is being read off of the HD.
>
> nah.  it's basically just a design mistake to put two active PATA disks
> on the same channel.  it's fine if one is usually idle (say, cdrom or
> perhaps a disk containing old archives).  most people just avoid putting
> two disks on a channel at all, since channels are almost free, and you
> get to ignore jumpers.

So it would be a good idea to put data and /tmp on a different channel
than swap?

> |   I want to know if the problem is still as bad with SATA as the
> | original ATA drives?  Will the onboard RAID speed up access?
>
> there was no problem with "original" disks.  and raid works fine, up until
> you saturate your PCI bus...
>

> | I know that throughput on large files is close and is usually related
> | to platter speed.  I am also pleased that the buffers is now 8mb on
> | all the drives I am looking at.
>
> one of the reasons that TCQ is not a huge win is that the kernel's cache
> is ~500x bigger than the disk's.  however, it's true that bigger ondisk cache
> lets the drive better optimize delayed writes within a cylinder.  for non-TCQ
> ATA to be competitive when writing, it's common to enable write-behind
> caching.  this can cause data loss or corruption if you crash at exactly the
> right time (paranoids take note).

I forgot about the "write-behind" problem.  I have been burned with
this before.

> | Main issue is writing and reading swap on those really large files and
> | how it affects other work.
>
> swap thrashing is a non-fatal error that should be fixed,
> not band-aided by gold-plated hardware.

I agree but I am not looking at swap thrashing in the sense of many
small files.  I am looking at 1 or 2 large files that are bigger than
memeory while working.  I know on my present workstation I will work
with a file that is 2X the memory and I find that the machine stutters
(locks for a few seconds) every time there is any disk ascess.  I
would like to add more ram but that is impossible as there are only
two slots and they are full.  Management won't provide the funds.

> finally, I should mention that Jeff Garzik is doing a series of good new SATA
> drivers (deliberately ignoring the accumulated kruft in the kernel's PATA
> code).  they plug into the kernel's SCSI interface, purely to take advantage
> of support for queueing and hotplug, I think.
This is interesting.  I like the idea of hot-swap drives and this is
one thing I was looking at with SCSI.  From this I take it that SATA
can handle some queueing but it just isn't supported yet?

--
Robin Laing