Beowulf of bare motherboards

John Hearns john.hearns at clustervision.com
Wed Dec 3 04:02:56 EST 2003

On Tue, 2 Dec 2003 pesch at attglobal.net wrote:

> We used that technique in the late nineties: one 300W PS for 4 or more
> motherboards (we had 1:6 power multiplier
> pc boards and cabling made). Worked well and saved lots of space. The idea
> might again become interesting for the
> new low power processors (VIA 1 Ghz = 7W).

Someone mention VIA mini-ITXes?
If I could have the resources, I wouldn't fan out a single PSU
to several mini-ITX boards. It would be cheap, but introduce a single
point of failure, and you'd have to cobble somthing together to
deal with ATX power on/off.
Funds permitting, one of the small 12V DC-DC PSU per board.
Then run a high current 12V supply along the rack.
Simple cheap relay would do the job of power cycling  also.

On the VIA front, the smaller  nano-ITX form factor boards are due soon.
Could make nice building blocks.