European Commission Patentability rules

Ariel Sabiguero asabigue at fing.edu.uy
Fri Aug 29 04:06:38 EDT 2003

Dear all:

I have not seen comments on the list regarding to this subject.
I know that this might be considered political and off-topic but I
believe that most of our (beowulf) software technology is Open/Free
and that the results of further regulations might affect our work.
Sorry for the noise for those of you who already knew this.

Regards

Ariel

<extract>
On September 1st the European Commission is going to vote a revised
version of the European Patentability rules. The proposed revision
contains a set of serious challenges to Open Source development since
regulation regarding software patents will be broadly extended and might
forbid independent development of innovative (Open Source and not)
software-based solutions.

The European Open Source community is very concerned about the upcoming
new regulation and has organized a demo protest for August 27, asking
Open Source supporting sites to change their home pages to let everyone
know what is going on at the European Parliament.

For further information please see http://swpat.ffii.org and
http://petition.eurolinux.org.
</extract>