32bit slots and riser cards

Bogdan Costescu bogdan.costescu at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Thu Aug 28 18:25:42 EDT 2003

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003, Alvin Oga wrote:

> the 2U chassis should be trivial to solve for either 32bit or 64bit pci
> slots

Well, maybe trivial for you who do this for a living :-)

> for 1U chassis... you need to pick "right motherboard" that works with the
> chassis ... and pci cards
> 	( you cannot do a mix and match with any motherboard )

Sure, but I was looking for example at the Intel offerings which pair dual
Xeon mainboards with 1U/2U cases that are certified to work together.

> 	if you want performance out of your pci card,

I know that this 32bit/33MHz card looks slow by today's standards, but I
think that it can still provide lower latency than e1000 or tg3 -driven
cards, so Id' like to continue to use them.

> 32 and 64 bit pci riser cards  (not cheap but lot better than most others)
> 	http://www.adexelec.com

Many thanks for this address. I did try to use google before writting to
the list, but I came with all sorts of shops, but nothing with good
descriptions, which is what I needed most.

--
Bogdan Costescu

Telephone: +49 6221 54 8869, Telefax: +49 6221 54 8868