32bit slots and riser cards

Thu Aug 28 17:16:38 EDT 2003

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003, Bogdan Costescu wrote:

> In planning for some new cluster nodes, I hit a small problem. I want:
> - a modern mainboard for dual-Xeon (preferred) or dual-Athlon
> - 1U or 2U rackmounted case
> - to use an old Myrinet M2M-PCI32 (Lanai4) which requires a riser card for
> installing in the case

the 2U chassis should be trivial to solve for either 32bit or 64bit pci
slots

for 1U chassis... you need to pick "right motherboard" that works with the
chassis ... and pci cards
	( you cannot do a mix and match with any motherboard )

	if you want performance out of your pci card, you will have to use
	64bit pci slots or 32bit pci slot - but the riser card should be
	one piece instead of the whacky non-conforming wires  between
	the "2 sections of the pci riser"

32 and 64 bit pci riser cards  (not cheap but lot better than most others)
	http://www.adexelec.com

c ya
alvin