Intel acquiring Pallas

Joel Jaeggli joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu
Thu Aug 28 17:06:40 EDT 2003

The cost of the os, either of a blessed one, or a roll your own one hasn't
been a significant factor in our reluctance to use Itanium II.

The lack of commodity mainboards.

The steep price of the cpu's.

and lack of a clear view into intels product lifecycle for itaniumII.

have been issues.

Itanium II 1.3ghz 3mb cpu's have only recently arrived at ~$1400ea.
opteron 244s are less than half that and that's before we put the rest of
the system around it.

we have some off-the-shelf compaq itanium boxes to evaluate but at around
$8000 ea that sort of a non-starter.

joelja

Joel Jaeggli  	       Unix Consulting 	       joelja at darkwing.uoregon.edu