thrashing

Glen Kaukola glen at cert.ucr.edu
Thu Aug 28 14:19:28 EDT 2003

Hi there,

So for our newest simulations, we're working with a different domain,
where each of our grid cells are much smaller, and so we're expecting
the runs to take about 4 times longer.  But actually they're taking
around 40 times longer.  I'm thinking this may have something to do with
not having enough memory.  The problem with this theory is that I'm not
really sure how to tell if my machines are thrashing.  On a desktop
machine I can tell no problem, as the disk starts going crazy and the
system pretty much grinds to a halt.  But on a machine up in my server
room on which I don't have any gui and where it's too loud to hear any
disk activity, I'm really not sure how to tell whether it's thrashing or
not.  I mean, I can look at top, and free, and sar and everything
doesn't look much different than when the other simulations were
running, except for maybe 'sar -W', which is a little bit higher.
Anyway, if someone could help me out with a way to determine without a
doubt if my machines are thrashing or not, then I'd greatly appriciate it.

Thanks for your time,
Glen Kaukola