Intel acquiring Pallas

Robert G. Brown rgb at phy.duke.edu
Thu Aug 28 11:30:30 EDT 2003

On Thu, 28 Aug 2003, Jeffrey B. Layton wrote:

> Good morning!
>
>    I though I would post this for those who haven't seen it yet:

> "Intel has signed on to acquire German software maker Pallas,
> hoping the company's performance tools can give it an edge in
> the compute cluster arena."

Interesting.  I'm trying to understand where and how this will help them
-- more often than not it is a Bad Thing when hardware mfrs start
dabbling in something higher than firmware or compilers -- Apple (and

It's especially curious given that Intel is already overwhelmingly
dominant in the compute cluster arena (with only AMD a meaningful
cluster competitor, and with apple and the PPC perhas a distant third).
Not to mention the fact that if they REALLY wanted to get an edge in the
compute cluster arena, they'd acquire somebody like Dolphin or Myricom.

Monitoring is lovely and even important for application tuning, but it
is an application layer on TOP of both systems software and the network.
Or perhaps they are buying them so they can instrument their compilers?

   rgb

> Enjoy!
>
> Jeff

Duke University Dept. of Physics, Box 90305
Durham, N.C. 27708-0305
Phone: 1-919-660-2567  Fax: 919-660-2525     email:rgb at phy.duke.edu