32bit slots and riser cards

Bogdan Costescu bogdan.costescu at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de
Thu Aug 28 08:57:15 EDT 2003

Dear beowulfers,

In planning for some new cluster nodes, I hit a small problem. I want:
- a modern mainboard for dual-Xeon (preferred) or dual-Athlon
- 1U or 2U rackmounted case
- to use an old Myrinet M2M-PCI32 (Lanai4) which requires a riser card for
installing in the case

The problem is that all mainboards that I looked at position the 32bit PCI
slot(s) near the edge of the mainboard and I cannot see how the riser
card can be installed into them so that the card still fits in the case;
the Myrinet card does not fit (keyed differently) into the 64bit PCI slots
or 64bit risers. Is there some solution to this problem or do I have to go
back to midi-tower cases ?

Sincerely,

Bogdan Costescu

Telephone: +49 6221 54 8869, Telefax: +49 6221 54 8868